As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, we have a NaNoWriMo winner!! Whee! Yay! Hurrah! Well, except that after a whole month of crazed writing (especially towards the end of November), I kinda crashed… it’s like coffee crash but worse, because I don’t feel like writing anything and just want to play all day. 😅
Today’s post came after several days of mustering the motivation to write! I still don’t really feel like it, but I figured if I write something positive, I might just spring back into writing mode! Who knows? 😆
So here are some lessons learned from NaNoWriMo 2017!
What Went Well and Allowed Me to Reward Myself with a Mini-Vacation!
- Target 50,000 words achieved by 30 Nov 2017 11:59 PM! Enough said. 😆
- I had a comeback in the last few days, even when I was behind my daily word count for the whole month! If you’ve seen my word count graph, I’m sure you’d be shaking your head. 😛
- Taking many days off work to catch-up! These really saved my NaNoWriMo life. 😀
- Picking my work-in-progress novel instead of starting a new one! NaNoWriMo rules state we must start a new novel instead of continuing one, so that technically made a NaNo rebel! But I’m happy I chose to continue my Wild Arms / Wild Arms Alter Code: F novelisation, because after four years of NaNoWriMo with this, I actually finished writing the epilogue! Now I just need to go back and fill in the sections I skipped. 😆
- Taking the time to play or chill when I don’t feel like writing! I could have just forced myself to write, but past experiences told me it wouldn’t have worked well if I did, and playing / chilling helped me to write better the next time because I was less stressed. 😀
What Could Have Been Better But It’s Okay Since I got 50k Words Done Anyway!
- Squirrel syndrome! Yep, I’m an easily distracted person. I’m one of those people who can’t focus if there are a lot of movements / sounds / people / gaming / alien invasion / etc going on, so I often need to hide in an empty room to write. On gaming days with dear husband and friends, however… 😅
- It was so tempting to just write “beep beep boop boop” all the way! On the days I was really down and really didn’t want to write, it was really so tempting to just write that one word repeatedly just to meet the target word count. But hey, at least I fought off that temptation the whole month!
- Totally relying on my days off work! Those days off are meant to be a “just in case” kind of thing, but they ended up being a “well, I can slack today because I can catch up on my day off” kind of thing, so I was really slacking more than usual. 😶
- Not having enough advance scheduled posts for this blog! Yep, I scheduled a few posts in advance prior to November so that I could focus on writing during NaNoWriMo, but I didn’t write enough posts so I had to take some time off NaNoWriMo to write these posts. (I could have skipped those days, but I have a good momentum going so I’d like to keep that up.) Yeah, I was kind of slacking in October too. 😆
What Really Could Have Been Better… Like, Waaaaay Better
- PMS. Yep, PMS got me good this time. (I tend to be moody, quiet and severely demotivated on those days.) It lasted longer than usual and happened during the first week of NaNoWriMo when I should have been the most motivated! Yeah, that’s kind of why I had a slow start. 🙁
- Writing on the go. Nope, that doesn’t really work for me. I started using Google Docs so that I could write anywhere, even when I have like 5 – 10 minutes of free time while waiting, but it just doesn’t work for me. I’m the type who needs to warm up before I can really write, so everything I write on the go is junk. 😶
So that’s my NaNoWriMo 2017! How did yours go? Do let me know below. 😀
P.S. I’m sorry to those bloggers I’m following! I really haven’t gotten back into my grove of reading your posts yet! I really hope I’ll get back into it soon, though chances are it’ll be New Year before that happens. 😅
A Short Self-Compassionate Letter
It’s great that you chose to reflect on what worked and what didn’t for your NaNoWriMo! Also, don’t worry about not catching up on your usual stuff so soon; you deserve the vacation and playtime. ❤